10 warm detox drinks recipes| Best detoxifying herbal drinks
- Jan 25, 2019
- 0 Comment(s)
Warm detox drinks will rule the health industry soon. If you want to stay away from cold smoothies and salads and still want to detoxify, I have the answer for you. Warm detox drinks!! Although there are ample blog articles about detoxification, they all revolve around a common theme, cold drinks. My body doesn’t support a lot of cold drinks and raw salads. Hence, I started looking for warm detox drinks instead. Bonus? The cozy and warm feeling that comes along.
Why warm detox drinks?
Millions of years of evolution and we are here today. Our primates discovered food and the cooking techniques that are still relevant. However, after the discovery of fire, most of the food we ate was cooked and our systems adopted.
There are a lot of people today who experience bloating and indigestion after eating a bowl of salad or become congested after having a cold smoothie. I am one of them. In fact, it took me a lot of years to find that my dry skin was a result of cold foods.
Warm foods have a feeling of nourishment and since it is easy on the digestive system, it helps in better absorption and adsorption of nutrients. It may not be true for some people but it is true for a lot of us.
In Ayurveda and Traditional Chinese Medicine system, cool drinks are frowned upon. In fact, a lot of Chinese women have never tasted a cool drink.
Benefits of warm detox drinks
Warm foods and drinks are easy on the stomach and your entire body in general. If you are a data type person, having a green smoothie might elevate your digestive concerns.
If you have a tendency to balloon up after having a cool drink, then you must check your dosha type.
Better absorption of nutrients
Warm drinks are best suited because of their temperature which is similar to our body temperature. The temperature favors the absorption of the nutrients from our food and drinks. The digestive load is reduced and the flatulence is low.
Asian cultures respect this ideology and hence a lot of Indians drink Kadha, a concoction to keep diseases at bay or as digestive support.
Japanese are known for their green tea post meals and Chinese people loving having warm soups and broths. Might be a reason for their slender bodies and glowing, healthy, and ageless skin.
Certain foods become nutritionally richer when warmed. Beets, tomatoes, carrots have important pigments like B-carotene which becomes active when warmed. These pigments have been found to be cancer-fighting in some research studies.
Lower chances of infection
One most important thing about cooked or warm food is the lack of germs that might cause some diseases. Smoothies and raw vegetables can sometimes cause a major infection if they have not been cleaned properly.
We are living in times where a new infection is cropping up each day. Hence, it becomes all the more significant to protect ourselves from the infections while detoxing.
And yes, who doesn’t like the warm and cozy feeling that comes along.
Warm detox drinks recipes
Human beings have known the importance of warm cooked food for centuries. It is because of the fire and the heat that we were able to process nutrition better and become the most evolved species we are today. So why not detox keeping this fundamental rule in mind. Detox can we arm and cozy, not necessarily cold and raw. Here are the 10 warm detox drinks for you to reboot your systems.
All these detox drinks should be consumed once or twice daily after your meals to enjoy the benefits. However, you should limit your sugar intake and portion size during your detox.
You can do a week-long detox, a month-long detox or a 10-day detox and try all of these warm detox drinks each day.
1. Ginger, Lemon and Honey cleanse
The Internet is going crazy over this ginger, lemon and honey detox. This is a very simple and effective cleanse and has been popular for a long time. This effective cleanse can be taken after your meals. This is my most favorite warm detox drink during winters. It's sweet, spicy and tangy at the same time.
However, if you are looking for something to drink early morning, have a warm lemon detox water instead. The ginger is a spicy root and can disrupt teh acidity levels if taken on an empty stomach.
1. A small peeled slice of Ginger- 1 inch
2. 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
3. 1 teaspoon honey
1. Boil Ginger in water for 5 mins and pour it in a mug.
2. Add freshly squeezed lemon juice and honey to it. Stir thoroughly. If you don’t like pieces of ginger in your mouth, you can strain it before pouring it in a mug.
2. Golden milk
Often known in India as “Haldi wala doodh” or turmeric milk, has been long used for increasing immunity and enhancing the body’s ability to heal better.
Turmeric has a potent compound called curcumin, which inhibits the growth of infections and flushes the toxins out of your body. Curcumin has also been found to inhibit certain pathways in Cancer.
1. A pinch of turmeric powder or a small peeled slice if you are using turmeric root.
2. 1 cup milk
Bring the ingredients to a boil. Strain it and enjoy the golden beauty.
3. Honey and Cinnamon detox
Honey and cinnamon have been known as nature’s best anti-inflammatory agents. Together, the combination becomes even more potent and helps detoxify your system by targeting inflammation and infections. This concoction works great too if you are trying to lose weight and increase your metabolism.
1. 1 cup hot water
2. 1 pinch Cinnamon powder or a small whole cinnamon bark
3. 1 tablespoon honey
1. Add 1 cup water and cinnamon powder/bark in a pan and bring it to a boil.
2. Let it simmer for 5 minutes and then pour the ingredients in a mug.
3. Add honey and stir. Enjoy it warm.
4. Cilantro and Ginger tea
Cilantro is a cooling herb and ginger is a heat producing herb. Together they make a great combination that is ideal for all body types. Fresh cilantro leaves are known for their weight loss property. Ginger diminishes bloating and flatulence. Our body has the tendency to retain water making us look fluffy. It helps in clearing out our kidneys and take excess water out of your body.
1. ½ cup freshly diced cilantro leaves and stem
2. 1 inch peeled ginger root
3. 2 cups water
1. In a mortar and pestle, beat the 1-inch ginger root to smaller chunks and add this to 2 cups of boiling water.
2. Add freshly chopped cilantro leaves and boil the mixture for about 10 mins. Drink it warm.
5. Carom seeds, rock salt, and lemon warm detox drink
This is my g to recipe everytime I am facing digestive trouble. It is quick, reliable and tested. Carom seeds have been prevalent in Indian kitchen since ages and if I remember this is the first ever home remedy for stomach ache I came across. It is an after-meal digestive in some popular Indian cultures.
1. 1 teaspoon Carom seeds
2. ½ teaspoon pink rock salt
3. 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. In a mortar and pestle, make a coarse powder of carom seeds.
2. To a cup of boiling water, add some Carom seed powder and let it boil for 5 mins.
3. Let it sit till the temperature comes down and the water is warm.
Pour it into the mug. Do not strain. Add lemon juice and rock salt.
6. Fennel and Mint tea
Fennel has the cooling properties and also acts as a mouth freshener. Fennel seeds along with Mint soothes the digestive fire and acidity, relieving from heartburn. This is an amazing drink if you want to detoxify and lower down your acidity levels. The increased acidity not only results in accumulation of toxins but also leads to auto-immune disorders. So, keeping acidity levels regulated should be your top priority while detoxing.
1. 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
2. 1 teaspoon dried mint leaves/ 10-15 fresh mint leaves
3. 1 cup water
1. In a small pan bring the water to a boil and add fennel seeds and mint leaves.
2. Boil for 5 mins and without staring pour it into the cup. Fennel seeds are edible and the boiled should be consumed after drinking the water for optimum results.
7. Ginger, Basil and Cardamom detox drink
If you are a big fan of Indian Masala chai, chances are you will love this warm detox drink too. Holy Basil is worshipped in India because of the ample benefits this small herb can offer.
This is a very strong immunity booster and is suited for even small children. Cardamom is the new superfood. It contains a lot of anti-oxidants, has skin clearing properties, can lower blood pressure and enhances the effects of warm detox drinks.
1. 1 inch peeled ginger root, crushed in a mortar and pestle
2. 2 green cardamom seeds crushed along with the cover
3. 8-10 leaves of holy basil
4. 1.5 cup water
1. In a pan, boil some water and add all the ingredients.
2. Allow them to boil for 10 mins.
8. Rose, hibiscus, marigold flower detox
I have always loved the concoctions made from flowers. Flowers give a refreshing feel to your mind and your body and are very well suited for detoxification. Rose, hibiscus and marigold petals are known to enhance the beauty and have been used since ancient times.
1. 1 teaspoon dried rose petal powder
2. 1 teaspoon dried hibiscus leave powder
3. 1 teaspoon dried marigold leaf powder
4. 1 cup water
In a pan boil all the three flower powders in water
Strain the mixture and drink this beautiful drink and feel the glow on your skin instantly.
9. Pomegranate, orange, and clove warm detox drink
We have talked about the power of herbs and flowers. But there are fruits which can be powerful detoxification agents when boiled. One of them is pomegranate. Pomegranate is high in potassium and magnesium and has a large number of anti-oxidants. The orange peel not only refreshes the body but also gets rid of viral, fungal or bacterial infections from the body. Clove has a soothing aroma that relaxes our mind and muscles. The flavonoids ward off the infections.
1. ½ cup fresh pomegranate seeds crushed with a mortar and a pestle.
2. Peel of one orange, washed and cut.
3. 2 cloves, crushed in a mortar and a pestle
1. In a pan bring the water to a boil.
2. Add orange peel and cloves and let them simmer in water for 5 mins.
3. Turn off the heat and add crushed pomegranate seeds in the pan.
4. Give it a good stir and strain the concoction in a mug. This drink will rejuvenate your mind, body, and soul.
10. Jasmine Green Tea
This is the most aromatic warm detox drinks of all. The sweet aroma of jasmine soothes your brain and uplifts your senses instantly. The dried jasmine flowers have potent catechins, theaflavins, and flavonoids that are good in balancing cholesterol levels and inflammation in blood vessels.
1. 1 teaspoon dried jasmine leaves
2. 1 green tea bag
1. Bring water to boil and add dried jasmine leaves
2. Strain the water in a mug and add a green tea bag. Dip it for 2mins and let your senses immerse in the aroma.
Now that you know how to detox your body with these soothing warm detox drinks, go ahead and make your own this season. If you want to read about full body detox at home, try this 5-day panchakarma treatment. Detox is a great way to cleanse your system and get rid of all toxins from your body. You will feel totally rejuvenated and the cravings will subside as well.